I received my B.S. & M.S. in Mathematics from Beihang University, Beijing, in 2007 and 2009, respectively, and degree from the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA in 2015. I was with ExxonMobil Corporate Strategic Research Lab in 2012, Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab in 2014, and GroupM R&D in 2015. Since 2016, I have been a tenure-track assistant professor in the School of Information Science and Technology at ShanghaiTech University.
My research revolves around the area of optimization as well as its applications in various disciplines, such as operations research, computer science, and statistics. The majority of my work involves designing algorithms, analyzing convergence, and developing software. I am currently working on the following topics.
- Inexact Nonlinear Optimization Algorithms
- Regularization Techniques in Machine Learning
- Nonconvex, Nonsmooth Optimization Algorithms
- Nonlinear Optimization Algorithms for Potentially Infeasible Problems
Published Journal Papers
- Hao Wang*, Hao Zeng, Jiashan Wang, Qiong Wu, “Relating lp regularization and reweighted l1 regularization," accepted by Optimization Letters.
- Hao Wang, Xiangyu Yang*, Yuanming Shi, Jun Lin. “An Inexact Iteratively Reweighted Algorithm for Nonconvex Per-Layer Pruning in Deep Neural Networks," accepted by IEEE Transactions on Computers.
- Hongying Liu, Hao Wang*, Mengmeng Song. “ Projections onto the Intersection of l1 and l2 balls or spheres,” accepted by Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 2020.
- James V. Burke, Frank E. Curtis, Hao Wang*, Jiashan Wang. “Inexact Sequential Quadratic Optimization With Penalty Parameter Updates Within The QP Solver," SIAM Journal on Optimization, vol. 30, no. 3, 2020.
- Xiangyu Yang, Sheng Hua, Yuanming Shi, Hao Wang, Jun Zhang, B. Letaief, Khaled, “Sparse Optimization for Green Edge AI Inference,” vol. 5, no. 1, 2020, Journal of Communications and Information Networks.
Zhihua Zhao, Hao Wang*, Xiangyu Yang, Fengmin Xu, “CVaR-Cardinality Enhanced Indexation Optimization with Tunable Short-selling Constraints ,"
Applied Economics Letters, March 2020.
- Hao Wang*, Fan Zhang, Jiashan Wang, Yuyang Rong. “An Inexact First-Order Method for Constrained Nonlinear Optimization ," Optimization Methods and Software, January 2020.
- Fan Zhang, Hao Wang*, Jiashan Wang, Kai Yang, “Inexact Primal-Dual Gradient Projection Methods for Nonlinear Optimization on Convex Set," Optimization, pp. 1-27, December 2019.
- Yang Liu, Jing Li, Hao Wang. “Robust Beamforming in Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 4450-4463, June 2019.
- Qiong Wu, Fan Zhang, Hao Wang*, Jun Lin, Yang Liu. “Parameter-free lp-Box Decoding of LDPC Codes ," IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1318-1321, Jul. 2018.
- James V. Burke, Frank E. Curtis, Hao Wang*, J. Wang. “Iterative Reweighted Linear Least Squares for Exact Penalty Subproblems on Product Sets ," SIAM Journal on Optimization, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 261-294, Jan. 2015.
James V. Burke, Frank E. Curtis, Hao Wang*. “A Sequential Quadratic Optimization Algorithm with Fast Infeasibility Detection ," SIAM Journal on Optimization, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 839-872, Jun. 2014.
Hao Wang*, Hongying Liu, Yong Xia. “Two-point Step Size Iterative Soft-thresholding Method for Sparse Reconstruction ," International Journal of Computer Mathematics, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 2527-2537, Aug. 2010.
Hao Wang*, Hongying Liu, Yong Xia. “Two-step Version of the Fixed Point Continuation Method for Sparse Reconstruction," Frontiers of Mathematics in China, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 575-588, Sep. 2010.
Published Conference Papers
- Yanjie Chen, Likun Cai, Wei Cheng, Hao Wang, “ Super-Resolution Coding Defense against Adversarial Examples ,” ICMR 2020: Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval. June 2020 pp.189–197.
- S. Hua, X. Yang, K. Yang, G. Yin, Y. Shi and H. Wang, “Deep Learning Tasks Processing in Fog-RAN,” 2019 IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2019-Fall), Honolulu, HI, USA, 2019, pp. 1-5.
- T. Jiang, X. Yang, Y. Shi and H. Wang, “ Layer-wise Deep Neural Network Pruning via Iteratively Reweighted Optimization,” ICASSP 2019-2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Brighton, United Kingdom, 2019, pp. 5606-5610.
Jie Lu, Xuyang Wu, Hejie Wei, Hao Wang, “Distributed Second-Order Methods for Convex Optimization Over Networks,” the proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, (ICARCV), Singapore, 2018.
- Fan Zhang, Qiong Wu, Hao Wang, Yuanming Shi. “Topological interference alignment via generalized low-rank optimization with sequential convex approximations,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop Signal Process. Adv. Wireless Commun. (SPAWC), Kalamata, Greece, Jun. 2018.
- Fan Zhang, Qiong Wu, Hao Wang, Yuanming Shi. “lp-Box Optimization for Green Cloud- RAN via Network Adaptation," in Pro. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf. (VTC), Chicago, USA, Aug. 2018.
- Q. Wu, F. Zhang, H. Wang and Y. Shi, “ Generalized Low-Rank Matrix Completion via Nonconvex Schatten p-Norm Minimization,” 2018 IEEE 88th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Fall), Chicago, IL, USA, 2018, pp. 1-5.
"Infeasibility Detection and Matrix-free Methods for Large-Scale Nonlinear Optimization," Ph.D. Dissertation, Lehigh University, May 2015.
Shanghai Eastern Youth Scholar, Budget: 400,000 CNY, 2017, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission.
- PI, The Young Scientists Fund of the National Natural
Science Foundation of China, 240,000 CNY, No. 12001367, 2020.
Former Masters Students
- Qiong Wu (吴琼): Graduation: 2019. Excellent Graduate Student Award (2019). Current Position: algorithm engineer in operations research and optimization, Alibaba Group (阿里菜鸟).
- Yanjie Chen (陈彦洁): Graduation: 2020. Current Position: algorithm Engineer, Audio & Music Intelliegence (SAMI), Bytedance-Speech (字节跳动).
Current Ph.D. Students
- Fan Zhang (张帆): Expected Graduation: 2021.
- Xiangyu Yang (杨翔宇): Expected Graduation: 2022.
Current Masters Students
- Xin Deng (邓鑫)
- Wei Jiang (蒋薇)
- Hao Zeng (曾昊)
- Yining Gao (高亦宁)
- Song Mao (毛松)
- Qiankun Shi (石乾坤)
- Ye Wang (王野)
- Tiange Li (李天戈)