Dr. Yang Yang received the BEng and MEng degrees in Radio Engineering from Southeast University, Nanjing, China, in 1996 and 1999, respectively; and the PhD degree in Information Engineering from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2002.
Yang is a full professor at ShanghaiTech University, China, and is currently the Executive Dean of School of Creativity and Art and the Co-Director of Shanghai Institute of Fog Computing Technology (SHIFT). Prior to that, he has been serving the University and Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) as Vice Dean of School of Information Science and Technology (2012-13), Director of Shanghai Research Center for Wireless Communications (2012-18), Director of Office of Academic and Student Affairs (2013-16), and Director of CAS Key Lab of Wireless Sensor Network and Communication (2016-18). Before joining ShanghaiTech University, Yang has held faculty positions at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Brunel University (UK), University College London (UCL, UK), and SIMIT, CAS (China).
Yang’s current research interests include fog computing networks, service-oriented collaborative intelligence, wireless sensor networks, IoT applications, and advanced testbeds and experiments. He has published more than 200 papers and filed more than 80 technical patents in these research areas. Yang is a Board Member of the OpenFog Consortium and the Director of Greater China Region since January 2017. He is the Chair of the Steering Committee of Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC) since January 2019. In addition, he is a General Co-Chair of the IEEE DSP 2018 conference and a TPC Vice-Chair of the IEEE ICC 2019 conference. Yang is a Fellow of the IEEE.
Yang Yang’s research has been generously sponsored by the government funding bodies and industrial leaders, such as the MOST (China), MIIT (China), NSFC (China), CAS (China), STCSM (China), SHEITC (China), RCUK (UK), EPSRC (UK), TSB (UK), the Royal Society (UK), the Royal Academy of Engineering (UK), EU/FP7, British Telecom, SELEX Galileo, Toshiba, Airbus and Rolls-Royce.
- TT5G: Transmission Technologies for 5G (61461136003), NSFC Key International R&D Collaboration Program (China-Finland), PI, 2015-2017. Collaborators: Southeast University, UESTC, Aalto University, VTT and TTY.
- Energy-Efficient Collaborative Heterogeneous Wireless Networks (61231009), NSFC Key Project Program, PI, 2013-2017. Collaborators: Southeast University and Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications.
- Testing and Evaluation Technologies for 5G Mobile Communications Technologies (2014AA01A707), MOST 863 Hi-Tech Program, PI, 2014-2016. Collaborators: China Mobile, China Telecom, Huawei, ZTE, Datang Mobile, CATR, SRMC, Nokia, NSN, Anite, and several universities.
- Safety-Oriented Wireless Sensor Networks Technologies for the South-to-North Water Diversion Project of China (2014ZX03005001), National Science and Technology Major Projects "New Generation Mobile Wireless Broadband Communication Networks", Co-PI, 2014-2015.
- QoS-Guarantee Algorithms for Multi-hop Wireless Mesh Networks (60902041), NSFC, PI, 2010-2012.
- Future Broadband Wireless Access Technologies (2010DFB10410), MOST International S&T Collaboration Program (China-Finland), PI, 2010-2012. Collaborators: ZTE, Datang Mobile, Potevio, Nokia, NSN, and several universities.
- UK-China Science Bridges: R&D on (B)4G Wireless Mobile Communications (EP/G042713/1), RCUK and EPSRC, Co-PI, 2009-2012.
- Wireless Relay Technology and Multimedia Traffic Analysis for LTE TDD Systems (2009DFB13080), MOST International S&T Collaboration Program (China-UK), PI, 2009-2011. Collaborators: UCL, British Telecom, and Mobile VCE.
- A Wireless Testing and Evaluation Platform for IMT-Advanced Key Technologies (2009ZX03003009), National Science and Technology Major Projects "New Generation Mobile Wireless Broadband Communication Networks", PI, 2009-2010. Collaborators: China Telecom, Huawei, ZTE, Datang Mobile, and several universities.
- CONET: Cooperating Objects Network of Excellence (FP7-2007-2-224053), EU/FP7 program, 2008-2012.
- WIDAGATE: Wireless Data Acquisition in Gas Turbine Engine Testing (TS/G002614/1), Technology Strategy Board (TSB), Co-PI, 2008-2011. Collaborators: Rolls-Royce, SELEX Galileo and University of Strathclyde.
- Cognitive and Intelligent Wireless Networks, Toshiba Research Lab, PI, 2008-2011.
- Wireless Broadband Multimedia Services over WiMAX Networks, British Telecom, PI, 2007-2011.
- Data Fusion and Sensor Web Enablement Technologies for Supporting Different Wireless Sensor Network Services and Applications, British Telecom, PI, 2007-2011.
- Static Sensor Networks for Surveillance and Monitoring Applications, SELEX Galileo, PI, 2007-2011
- Efficient and Reliable Wireless Communication Algorithms for Active Flow Control and Skin Friction Drag Reduction (EP/F004532/1), EPSRC and Airbus "The Active Aircraft" program, PI, 2007-2008.
- Control Methods for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, British Telecom, PI, 2005-2008.
- Interact China: Research and Development of B3G Mobile Communications (EP/C518861/1), EPSRC, PI, 2005.
Journal Editorials and Special Issues
- Editors for several technical journals, such as IEEE Internet of Things Journal (2018-present), Chinese Journal on Internet of Things (2018-present), CIC/IEEE China Communications (2015-present) and IEEE Communications Magazine (2008-2012).
- Lead Guest Editor of several special issues for IEEE Communications Magazine (2018), Journal of Communications and Networks (2018), IEEE Transactions on Big Data (2018), CIC/IEEE China Communications (2017), IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (2013 and 2014), IEEE Network Magazine (2008), and etc.
- Vice-Chair of TPC, IEEE ICC'19
- General Co-Chair, IEEE DSP 2018
- Panel on Fog Computing, IEEE Infocom 2018
- Tutorial on “Fog Services and Enabling Technologies”, IEEE ICC 2018
- Tutorial on “Fog as a Service Technology (FA2ST)”, IEEE Globecom 2017
- Panel, IEEE COMPSAC 2017
- Co-Chair of TPC, IEEE 5G Summit (Shanghai) and (Nanjing), 2017
- General Chair, IEEE 5G Tutorial (Shanghai), Jul 2017
- Tutorial on “Fog Computing and Networking”, IEEE ICC 2017
- Co-Chair, Industry & Academic Panels, IEEE/CIC ICCC 2017
- Co-Chair of CISS Symposium, IEEE Globecom 2015
- Co-Chair of AHSN Symposium, IEEE ICC 2015
- Member, Academic Committee, Academic Degree Committee, and Teaching Committee, ShanghaiTech University, 2018-present
- Chair, Steering Committee, Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC), 2019-present
- Board Member and Director of Greater China Region, OpenFog Consortium, 2017-present
- Director, Special Interest Group on Wireless Big Data, IEEE Technical Committee on Big Data, 2017-present
- 5G Co-Coordinator, Industry Communities Board, IEEE Communications Society, 2016-present
- Vice-Chair, Academic Degree Committee, SIMIT, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2016-present
- Member, Advisory Committee on Information Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2014-present
- Member, Chief Technical Committee, National 863 Hi-Tech R&D Program “5G System R&D Major Projects”, the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of China, 2014-present
- Member, Chief Technical Committee, National Science and Technology Major Project “New Generation Mobile Wireless Broadband Communication Networks”, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) of China, 2012-present
- Vice-Chair, Academic Committee, SIMIT, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2011-2016
- Dr. Zeming Hu (2015-2017)
- Dr. Xuewu Dai (2009-2012)
- Dr. Peter Omiyi (2008-2009)
- Dr. Kaan Bur (2008-2009)
- Dr. Sid C. K. Chau (2007-2009, visiting RF)
Completed PhD/EngD students
- Dr. Yecheng Wu (2018)
- Dr. Yang Li (2018)
- Dr. Yu Zeng (2018, joint supervision with Dr. H. L. Hu)
- Dr. Boqi Jia (2018, joint supervision with Dr. H. L. Hu)
- Dr. Guannan Song (2017)
- Dr. Xiaojun Yan (2016, joint supervision with Dr. J. Xu)
- Dr. Zeming Hu (2015, joint supervision with Dr. J. Xu)
- Dr. Cheng Zhao (2015)
- Dr. Kun Wei (2014)
- Dr. Jeff Foley (2014, joint supervision with Dr. J. Mitchell)
- Dr. Wuxiong Zhang (2013)
- Dr. Yuanping Zhu (2013, joint supervision with Dr. J. Xu)
- Dr. Xiaotao Wang (2013, joint supervision with Dr. H. Qian)
- Dr. Santosh Kawade (2013, joint supervision with Dr. K. Wong)
- Dr. Haixia Chen (2013, joint supervision with Dr. K. Wong)
- Dr. Ryan Grammenos (2013, joint supervision with Dr. I. Darwazeh)
- Dr. Yu Chen (2013, joint supervision with Dr. I. Darwazeh)
- Dr. Xiaojin Zheng (2012, joint supervision with Dr. J. Xu)
- Dr. Darminder Singh Ghataoura (2012, joint supervision with Dr. J. Mitchell)
- Dr. Chibuzor Edordu (2010, joint supervision with Dr. L. Sacks)
- Dr. Antonio Gonzalez-Velazquez (2009, joint supervision with Dr. L. Sacks)
- Dr. Samir Sayed (2009)
- Dr. Jiayuan Chen (2008)
- Dr. Lipeng Wang (2008, joint supervision with Dr. Y. H. Song)
- Dr. Zhanhong Lu (2007, joint supervision with Dr. T. Owens)
- Dr. Haifeng Yuan (2007, joint supervision with Dr. W. B. Yao)
- Dr. Feiyi Huang (2007)
Current PhD students
- Shuang Zhao, Yang Liu (joint supervision with Dr. W. X. Zhang), Guowei Zhang (joint supervision with Dr. F. Shen), Hongbin Zhu (joint supervision with Dr. H. Qian), Yanglin Zhou (joint supervision with Dr. S. Ci), Zening Liu, Liu Yang (joint supervision with Dr. H. Qian), Zhipeng Xue (joint supervision with Dr. X. J. Yuan).